Thursday, January 2, 2014

Mudder Resolutions Revisited

I started 2013 with a self-described "Brilliant" post on my Mudder Resolutions for 2013.  Feel free to read it again by clicking here.  I thought I would go back one year later and see what we were able to cross off the list.  The majority of resolutions that people make don't stick but I was fortunate to work through this list with my mudder brothers which at times forced me to cross things off.  Let's take a look at the 10 goals that I set to start 2013.  The results are displayed in red for your viewing pleasure.


  1. Qualify for the 2013 World's Toughest Mudder (WTM) - We actually qualified for WTM at the Miami race before Tough Mudder decided to open access to the event to anyone crazy enough to attempt it.  
  2. Compete in the 2013 WTM with Patrick, DC, and a yet to be found fourth member.  I'm quite sure we will find this person during our journey this year.  We moved away from this goal as the year moved on.  People kept looking at us like we were crazy when we tried to sell the adventure.  Our most prolific blogger TCC actually became the fourth member of the WTM team and all three of us would have been lost without her.
  3. Complete a Tough Mudder on consecutive days (Saturday and Sunday).  This actually became the norm for our team.  We completed this in Miami, Mid-Atlantic and New Jersey.  
  4. Finish two laps of a Tough Mudder in 2013 without ending up in the emergency room.  This was accomplished twice in New Jersey and in Mid-Atlantic.  No emergency room was needed but a trip to an orthopedic doctor, a walking boot, a lot of ice and advil were required! 
  5. Double/Double - Two laps on Saturday and two laps on Sunday.  This one might be a stretch but it would serve as great preparation for WTM.  The Sunday start times make it very difficult to pull off an official Sunday double but DC and I did manage to pull off the elusive blackjack in Jersey (2 laps on Saturday and 1 on Sunday).
  6. Complete a Tough Mudder in at least five different states.  We came close but I backed out of the Charlotte race due to injury and bad timing.  We did officially run in four states (Florida, Virginia (Twice), West Virginia (Twice), and New Jersey).  
  7. Complete the Dong Dangler/Ball Shrinker obstacle without completely falling in.  I had two very ugly attempts in South Carolina.  Luckily, we have no video footage.  We unfortunately have yet to face that obstacle again.  We'll see what 2014 has in store.  
  8. Dominate the Funkey Monkey obstacle.  I was satisfied with completing this obstacle once in Pennsylvania until DC did it twice in Carolina.  Patrick and I did as much swimming as we did crossing the bars on that trip. Mission accomplished.  Just check out the Cuatro video here if you need more evidence.  DC managed to make it a Cinco in West Virginia while Patrick and I impersonated Phelps and Lochte at the Olympics.
  9. Meet and befriend an amazing cast of characters throughout the journey ahead.  Two Words...Superstorm Sandy.  We actually met an amazing group of people throughout the year and also at World's Toughest Mudder.  Check out the picture.
  10. Wait on Patrick to catch up to me for at least one obstacle.  Although I have narrowed the gap, the one consistent factor in each race is that somebody is waiting for me.  I know this is a goal that DC and I share.  It will happen and I will have footage of it!!!  This did actually occur pre-Achilles injury for DC and I.  Patrick had to stop and fix his shoe and we ran ahead and over some hay bales.  I know it probably shouldn't count but I have the footage.  It's tough running with a gazelle.  You take what you can get.


All in all I feel pretty successful with the 10 goals I set for myself.  World's Toughest Mudder was our end goal for 2013 and all three of us made it through the 24 hour event.  I can tell you that I never would have attempted this journey without DC and Patrick.  I can also honestly confess that I was trying to talk myself and others out of WTM up until the weeks leading up to the event.  We make a lot of excuses when fear and anxiety rear their ugly heads.  I am so glad that they guys pushed me to compete at WTM.  It was an amazing experience that has certainly altered me in ways that I cannot quite capture for the blog yet.  I'm working on my WTM experience and you should have that soon.  What does 2014 hold for me?  I'm working on that list as well.  I do enter this year humbled from WTM, honored to have two great friends that I know will always have my back, and determined to make 2014 a year to remember.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment